You can also donate old books to the Brooklyn Public Library at its central library in Grand Army Plaza. NYC Books Through Bars mails books directly to incarcerated individuals who make requests for them.
How do you dispose of books in NYC?
ReLIT Transit Handouts
- ReLit NY: Read, Recycle, Repeat Literature in Transit.
- Housing Works: Drop Off Donations.
- NYPL: St. Agnes Library.
- Goodwill: Donate Goods.
- Books for Kids: Book Donations.
- The Salvation Army: Donations.
- NYC Books Through Bars: Sending Books to Incarcerated People.
Can you put books in recycling NYC?
Outdated and no longer needed softcover books can be placed in regular paper recycling at any time. Small Amounts of Hardcover Books: Outdated and no longer needed hardcover books must have the interior pages removed from the binding. The interior pages may then be placed in regular paper recycling.
Do books go in garbage or recycle?
Paperbacks can be recycled as-is, but hardcovers must be removed before being sent to recycling. Books with moldy pages cannot be recycled, but must be tossed in the trash before they can spread their mold to other books. If a book cannot be reused or given new life in some other way, it’s perfectly okay to recycle it.
How do you throw out books?
If you want to recycled old books, you just have to make sure that the pages have not turned tan or brown. You should throw them in the general waste bin if that happens. Additionally, the same goes for books that were splashed with liquids; it is best to throw them away with your household trash, instead.
How do you recycle hardcover books?
While you can throw your hardcover books in the trash, we recommend that you donate your books. They can be dropped off at your local thrift or used book store for others to enjoy! You can also remove the cover and binding to recycle the inside pages of the hardcover book.
Who will pick up books for donation in NYC?
Reuse | Re-Read: NYC Book Donation Centers
- New York Public Library. …
- The Strand Bookstore will buy your books and may even pick-up and pack your books in large collections! …
- Books Through Bars donations are dropped off at Freebird Books, 123 Columbia Street, Brooklyn, NY. …
- Housing Works Bookstore Café guidelines here.
How do you recycle Tetrapak?
Place Tetra paks in your recycling if your area participates. There is no special sorting required for Tetra paks if your local recycling facility can process the packaging. Simply include it in your regular recycling bin to be picked up as normal. Ship your cartons for recycling if there’s not a facility near you.
How do you dispose of old textbooks?
12 Ways to Recycle Old Textbooks
- Your local library.
- Better World Books.
- A local charity.
- Goodwill or Salvation Army.
- Pickup Please.
Are pots and pans recyclable NYC?
Along with the obvious Diet Coke and Trader Joe’s chili cans, you can recycle things like empty aerosol cans, wire hangers and pots and pans. Knives, believe it or not, are also recyclable—but be sure to wrap them in cardboard, tape them up securely and label them “Caution – sharp.”
What can I do with my old books?
How to Get Rid of Old Books
- Donate to Charity. If you are wondering how to get rid of old books, one of the most common solutions is to donate them to charity. …
- Give the Books to Others. …
- Repurpose Your Books. …
- Sell Books Online. …
- What Will You Do With Your Books?
How do I get rid of books when I move?
The easiest way to get rid of the books you’ve decided not to move is to donate them. After all, books are valuable and they can continue to bring joy to other people long after they’ve stopped serving you any good. Remember that one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.
Can soft cover books be recycled?
Paperback books can be recycled in the same manner as other paper products such as phone books. Unlike hardback books, the slick-paper covers on paperback books are easily removed. … Place paperback books into the “Mixed Paper” bin of the local recycling center.
Where can I get rid of unwanted books?
If you’re feeling generous, donating your used books can be a great way to find them a loving home.
- Libraries. Libraries usually accept donations and sell those books in a Friends of the Library fundraiser. …
- Local thrift stores. Goodwill accepts a lot more than clothes. …
- Prisons. Prisons desperately need used books. …
Where is the best place to donate used books?
Best Places to Donate Used Books
- Your Local Library. …
- Your Neighborhood Little Free Library. …
- A School or Community Book Drive or Fundraiser. …
- Freecycle. …
- Reputable Charities. …
- Local Faith-Based Organizations. …
- Your Neighborhood Thrift Store. …
- Local Museums & Other Cultural Organizations.